Friday 15 January 2016

Beauty - Make Up Gallery Review

Hi everyone, and welcome back to my blog!

I was in Poundland a few weeks ago and spotted that they had a range of make up there - Make Up Gallery. Everything was just a pound each (obviously!) so I decided to pick a few things out (sure it was hardly going to put me in debt!), and in the end I picked out four things: pressed powder, blusher, liquid foundation and colour moisture lipstick. For my Irish readers, these are avaliable in Dealz for €1.49 each.

Long Lasting Foundation
This is a liquid foundation that claims to be "natural long lasting". It contains UVA filters which is basically a thin film on the skin which protects it from sun damage (although it's unlikely it'll fufil it's role in the UK until another few months!) and also contains the antioxidant Vitamin E, which plays a role in anti-aging.
I picked up this foundation in the lightest shade - Ivory 1. I tried it out the morning before I headed to work after priming, and then added eyeliner, mascara, all the other bits. It seemed OK at first and I was quite happy. Then I went to the bathroom to get some tissue and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. As  my bathroom had much better light, the foundation appeared super orange. Like Oompa Loompa orange! I couldn't go anywhere obviously looking like that, so had to scrub it all off (including my liquid eyeliner - girls, if you know the struggle you will know how pissed off I was about that!), and applied a more paler fit-to-skintone foundation. Therefore, I've no idea of how this foundation is for wear!

Pressed Powder
As the powder in this range is Translucent, I had no concerns about trying it out. Again, this product contains Vitamin E. It does have a rather strongly perfumed scent to it. Personally I didn't mind it but I know many others will. I was really impressed with this powder, though. I applied it all over, and it helped my makeup stay matte and oil-free all day long, working as well if not better than other high end brands I've tried in the past. Really good buy!



Blusher
This light pink blusher - 'Soft Blush 1' is in a teeny tiny container and like the other products, also contains Vitamin E. It doesn't have a strong scent like the powder. It's not very pigmented, but it does give a very subtle, in-from-the-cold effect, and lasts well.  Another good 'un!




Colour Moisture Lipstick
The lighting in Poundland at the time must have been off  - or else I'm going blind - but when I picked up this lipstick I thought it was black and was slightly excited as I have been meaning to try out a black lippy for quite some time. With a name like 'Black Cherry' you wouldn't blame me for thinking that! However, when I tried it out for a night out over Christmas, I found out that it's really more like a dark berry. I wanted to try it out for the night but I quickly found it doesn't have a great pigment at all - the first coat looks purple, the next application looked just slightly more pigmented. And as it was New Year's Eve, I really didn't want to be stuck in the bathroom re-applying it after every drink, so decided to stick with my Rimmel Lasting Finish lippy.

  

10 comments:

  1. The thing is with cheap makeup - it's very hit and miss. I have got some wonderful eye shadows and lip glosses really cheap and yet other products are really poor quality! I've been looking for a new pressed powder, so will definitely check this one out.

    Laura x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Yes, you definitely should - for a pound, you can't go wrong! Thanks for reading my blog xxx

      Delete
  2. That's why I prefer paying a bit more for high quality make up. I like Sleek which is not too expensive and Revlon matte lipsticks are my favourite at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really hit and miss with many of the cheaper brands really. I need to try out Sleek and Revlon soon! Thanks for reading my blog xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm glad some of the products went well. Will you be sticking with these?

    I don't wear powder due to big too lazy to find a good brand but ill give this a try. A £1 isn't much to risk.

    Thanks for the reviews.

    Jenna von x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will be sticking with the powder and blush! Yeah, you should. No problem, thanks for reading my blog xx

      Delete
  4. Ooh the powder sounds good! I usually use Rimmel Clear Complexion powder but that looks similar! Not surprised by the other results but was a good read, at least you now know what they're like x

    theoriginalredhead.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the powder's definitely one to try out! :) Love that Rimmel powder too.. Ah wasn't expecting too much to begin with but at least it wasn't too expensive to try them out! Thanks for reading my blog x

      Delete
  5. I will admit to chuckling at the thought of discovering you were Oompah Loompah orange! Good to know that even some of the cheapest powders and blushers can still be good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, glad I made you smile! It's a common occurance trying out foundation when you're as pale and porcelain as myself! :) yeah, they're definitely worth checking out. Thanks for reading x

      Delete